Sustainability Meets Quality
YKK will continue to develop and introduce sustainable products. We offer a wide range of environmentally friendly products in each of our eight environmental categories.
- Bio-based: Our GreenRise® zippers reduce CO2 emissions by using PET, a bio-based polyester made from plants. The production of PET emits less greenhouse gases than polyester made from petroleum while additionally creating new uses for agricultural waste. Indistinguishable from zippers made of virgin polyester, GreenRise® zippers offer YKK quality and performance all while reducing our carbon footprint. For more information on our bio-based products, visit https://ykkdigitalshowroom.com/en/b1f/eco-friendly_products/bio_based.
- bluesign® Approved: bluesign® approved products must meet high standards for sustainable production. bluesign® approval guarantees that harmful substances and processes used in production are limited or nonexistent. Each one of our chemicals and processes is reviewed and evaluated by bluesign® to ensure that they meet high standards of safety and environmental sustainability. Click here to learn more about our bluesign® approved products.
- Circularity: Defying the conventional “Take, Make, Waste” linear economic system, these products can be reused or remade whilst simultaneously maintaining the use of valuable resources. YKK circular products not only save valuable resources, but also reduce CO2 emissions and energy use as they continually get remade or reused. For more information on our innovative circular products such as the Flame Retardant Mono Plastic Snap, visit https://ykkdigitalshowroom.com/en/b1f/eco-friendly_products/circularity.
- Eco-friendly metal finish: YKK eco-friendly metal finishes offer an environmentally sound alternative to traditional electro plating metal finishing. Requiring less water and energy and eliminating the hazardous chemicals used by conventional plating processes, YKK’s eco-friendly metal finishes achieve the same appearance as standard plating. More information on our eco-friendly metal finish products can be found here.
- Natural Fiber: Natural fibers provide a sustainable source of materials for textiles used in zippers. YKK zippers with natural fiber-woven tapes help to eliminate CO2 emissions associated with the production of synthetic textiles. These plant-based materials are renewable and can be grown regeneratively, aiding in the reduction of resource depletion and contributing to a healthier environment. Visit https://ykkdigitalshowroom.com/en/b1f/eco-friendly_products/natural_fiber to learn more about YKK’s natural fiber zippers.
- Non-plated: YKK’s un-plated metal snaps allow the natural color of the metal to shine through, eliminating the need for plating or finishing. These aluminum, stainless steel metal snaps do not require any additional processing and therefore offer an eco-friendly alternative to traditional electro-plated finishing. More information on our un-plated metal snaps can be found here in our digital showroom.
- Water saving: Water is a valuable resource and thus, YKK takes its conservation seriously. To combat water depletion, YKK has developed new production processes and products to help reduce our water usage. ECO-DYE® waterless dyeing helps to reduce the amount of water used in the zipper dyeing process to almost zero. For more information on ECO-DYE® waterless dyeing and other YKK water-saving dyeing methods, visit https://ykkdigitalshowroom.com/en/b1f/eco-friendly_products/water_saving.
- Recycled: YKK has long understood the environmental benefits of recycled materials. With lower CO2 emissions as well as reduced energy and water usage compared to zippers made from virgin material, YKK NATULON® products offer a high degree of quality and performance with a minimal environmental impact. Since creating our first NATULON® recycled zipper in 1994, we have constantly been expanding the NATULON® collection to offer these benefits to an ever growing range of products. For more information on our NATULON® recycled products, click here. Additionally, watch the video below to explore the NATULON® Highest Recycled Content zipper.