YKK is Committed to Occupational Safety, Environmental Responsibility, and Quality Products
YKK continuously works to develop and improve in many areas, including quality management, occupational safety and health management, and environmental management systems. YKK’s conformity to international and national standards is confirmed through our many certifications. Currently, many of YKK’s production locations have been certified as meeting ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO45001, OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100, bluesign® system, and Science Based Targets. Below is a more detailed description of each certification.
ISO 9001 / ISO 14001 / ISO 45001
YKK has acquired ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and ISO45001 certifications in many locations. For details of each certification, please contact the YKK company from which you have purchased products.
OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100
The OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 is a globally uniform testing and certification system for textile raw materials, intermediate products and final products at all stages of production. The certification confirms compliance with laws that control or prohibit certain substances and chemicals. For details of certification, please contact the YKK company from which you have purchased products.
YKK has acquired OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 Product Class I certification in 40 locations as of November 2016.
The bluesign® system is a solution for the sustainable production of textiles, accessories and trims. It eliminates harmful substances right from the beginning of the manufacturing process and sets and controls standards for environmentally-friendly and safe production. This not only ensures that the final product meets very stringent consumer safety requirements worldwide, but also reassures the consumer that they have secured a sustainable product.
YKK is a bluesign® system partner and has bluesign® Approved products, which require the most stringent standards in the world. Below are some of our bluesign® Approved products.
bluesign® Approved products require certain conditions to be met.
Please contact your nearest YKK office for inquiries relating to bluesign® Approved products.
YKK is a bluesign® system partner in 17 locations as of July 2017.
Science Based Targets
Science-based targets provide companies with a clearly-defined path to reduce emissions in line with the Paris Agreement goals.
In March 2021, YKK’s greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction targets were approved by the independent Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) as consistent with levels required to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement – limiting global warming to well-below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and pursuing efforts to limit warming to 1.5°C.
Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)
In the United States, YKK’s products meet the standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA).
CPSIA was signed into law in August 2008, amending the provisions of the Consumer Product Safety Act. YKK does not make consumer products. However, its components are used in consumer products. Major requirements of CPSIA impacting our customers’ products and YKK’s commitments are described below:
1) Lead content in surface coating and substrates
Lead content in products manufactured by YKK, except TZN airtight/watertight zippers and zippers with lead crystals/rhinestones, does not exceed the lead content requirements of CPSIA, as confirmed through internal testing.
Products manufactured by YKK, except TZN airtight/watertight fasteners and Rail Seal Fasteners with PVC materials, do not exceed CPSIA phthalate limitations, as confirmed through internal testing.
In addition to requiring that our suppliers comply with the above fair business practices, if our suppliers use 3TG metals (tin, tungsten, tantalum and gold – metals defined by U.S. law as conflict minerals that are mined in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, a country in which armed conflict and human rights abuses occur) in their products, we require that they provide us with satisfactory confirmation that they have conducted a “reasonable country of origin inquiry” to determine that their 3TG metals are not originally sourced from the DRC or adjoining countries or regions of conflict.
This requirement is derived from Section 1502 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, which requires that companies that make products that require 3TG metals to be produced or function must assess supply chains and publicly report on the source of these materials if they are sourced from regions of conflict in and around the DRC. YKK will not source 3TG containing raw materials from any supplier that is not able to provide us with satisfactory confirmation that they have conducted a “reasonable country of origin inquiry” to determine that their 3TG metals are not originally sourced from the DRC or adjoining countries.
What we Expect from our Suppliers
Fair business practices are the foundation of YKK’s business activities. Thus, we insist that our suppliers likewise engage in fair business practices.
In carrying out our business activities, the YKK Group is expected to undertake corporate social responsibility throughout its supply chain. To achieve this goal, we require the help of our trading partners and ask that they comply with the following fair business practices.
- We require that our suppliers comply with applicable laws and regulations in their business activities as well as with social norms and implement fair and ethical business practices.
- We require that our suppliers ensure that they do not use forced labor or child labor. We also require that they provide wages and other conditions of employment as well as maintain health and safety standards that comply with the laws of the countries and regions in which they do business.
- We request that our suppliers promote the preservation of the global environment as well as engage in procurement activities that are in accordance with our Green Procurement Policy. This policy is based upon our corporate philosophy, the Cycle of Goodness, which states that an enterprise is an important member of society that must coexist with other elements of society and that the value of its existence will be recognized by the benefits it shares with society. The belief behind this is that nobody prospers without rendering benefit to others. We carry out business activities with the aim of ensuring mutual prosperity, and our belief is that innovative ideas and inventions results in business expansion for the YKK Group, which in turn brings prosperity to customers and trading partners and therefore benefits all of society.
- We require that our suppliers also establish a quality assurance system for their products as well as ensure the quality and safety of products as required by the YKK Group.
- We request that our suppliers build an appropriate information security system and manage their information resources appropriately.
For more information, visit https://www.ykk.com/english/corporate/csr/fair_operating_compliance.html.